Emerging drug trends and how they relate to older drugs
One emerging trend found on the market today is the using e-cigarettes, an alternative to smoking traditional tobacco-based cigarettes. Although e-cigarettes do not produce smoke and emit harmful chemicals including tar, they are still used to obtain a nicotine buzz, which quickly becomes addictive regardless of age. Because they are nearly undetectable in any environment, they are considered a new drug trend among teens and young adults.
MDMA or “Molly”
Using MDMA or “Molly” is another drug trend that is emerging among teens and young adults. Although the new term for MDMA is “Molly”, the drug is often served as ecstasy which produces euphoria while draining natural levels of serotonin in the brain.
K2 is known as an alternative synthetic drug that is similar to marijuana. Although the effects are meant to mirror marijuana effects, the drug has had numerous ill side effects including seizures, blackouts and in some cases even death. K2 is most popular among teens as it is legal in many states throughout the US.
Prescription and Over-The-Counter Medications
Using prescriptions and over-the-counter medications is another emerging drug trend among teens and young adults. Painkillers, benzo-based drugs, codeine and even sleeping pills are used to get a “high” or euphoric feeling with teens and young adults.
Spotting Signs and Symptoms of Drug Abuse in Teens and Loved Ones
Spotting drug or prescription medication abuse in teens and loved ones is not always simple, especially when they are avoiding social contact or communication with others in their everyday lives. It is important to take note of some of the most common drug abuse signs and symptoms including:
- Social withdrawal and avoiding contact with loved ones, friends, and peers
- Noticeable behavioral changes and mood swings that were not present in the past
- Lack of interest in everyday hobbies and interests that were once passions
- Inability to function, cope and communicate as normal
- Dilated pupils, red eyes, shaky body movements and rapid physical changes including weight loss
- Increased anger and irritability is often present in individuals who are using drugs and are addicted to substances of any kind
- Anxiety and depression is also common among individuals experiencing withdrawals or detoxing from drugs and substances
Understanding the most common emerging new drug trend options available to teens and other individuals today is the best way to spot signs and symptoms of any loved one in your own life who may be addicted to substances and other types of illicit drugs. Having the ability to understand an emerging trend in drug use is the best way to spot an individual who is using to help them get the assistance necessary to rid the drugs, alcohol or other substances from their lives for good.
Resources and References
Drug Abuse: Emerging Trends: National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
Drug Abuse: DrugFacts: High School and Youth Trends: National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)